Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Baby It's Cold Outside

It seems odd to me that I would name this post after the worst Christmas song ever. But there we have it. A quick side note. The song "Baby It's Cold Outside" is offensive and demeaning. Come on, people. Listen to the words. He won't take "no" for an answer!? Truly, I cringe every time I hear it. And during the Christmas season it is played a lot.

So yes, it's cold. Hasn't gotten above 0 degrees for two days - A has been out of school and while yesterday his father was able to give him a "fun day" - swimming, rock climbing, movie - today his boring mother (read: me) has to work. The insides of my double paned windows are covered in frost, my feet burn when they touch the tiles in my living room, and I'm a bit grouchy. Also, there's been this interesting neighborhood phenom where most of us are refusing to shovel our walks or driveways. It's just too cold. No word went out, it's just a response en masse to the weather. Those who did shovel are either heroes or frozen idiots. I can't decide which.

The hardest part about the cold is that this time last week it was 65 degrees and tomorrow it should be about 40 degrees. I know to some that would make today easier to take but to me it just makes the past two days the longest days of waiting in my life. Well, not maybe in my life. That may be an exaggeration. But if you know me, I love to exaggerate!

I did have someone remind me that while I'm cold and frustrated that my windows are frosted on the inside, at least, thank God, I have windows. She was exactly right. Everyone needs someone in their life to help show them perspective and I'm thankful she did just that. So I end this post with thanksgiving: I am thankful for my frozen windows, my frozen nose, my frozen car. I am thankful that I am alive to experience this cold, cold day. I am thankful that I have a beautiful son who has the luxury of being bored right now, playing on the floor beside me. I am thankful. I am.

No comments: