Friday, January 9, 2009

Blueberries

Well. I'm doing it. I'm eating blueberries. I don't like them, particularly, but one can only read a thousand or so notices that scream that blueberries are a superfood before thay find themselves in the grocery store, staring at the blueberries, hand reaching out, taking a box, and placing them, almost offended by their superfood status, in the grocery cart with the squeeky wheel that pulls to the right. (Thanks, Ms. Greiner for the English lesson - I'm sure that sentence broke a couple of rules).

What is it about us and things that are good for us? We have a love hate relationship with all things healthy and life-giving. Well, often we have a hate-hate relationship with such things. Cue the blueberries.

Maybe my new year's resolution should be to let some of the things that are good for me into my life this year. But, it's not.

My new year's resolution is to recognize the things in my life that are already good. There are so many things in this mixed up bundle of days, weeks, and months that are positive and lovely. It will be a pleasure to honor those things in how I live.

Oh, and I'm starting yoga.

Happy New Year.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Ok ok, what do you have against blueberries? I'm not a bandwagon-jumping blueberry lover, I've adored them since childhood. I think I love them best frozen, or perhaps in muffins... lately I put them in smoothies with almond milk, delicious. There is even a bottle of blueberry ice wine in my fridge awaiting a special occasion.

The superfood I have an ambivalent relationship with is "quinoa" an ancient South American grain that is supposed to do wonders. I actually like it (when I remember to rinse it, if you don't it is bitter, sometimes I forget) but then I am somewhat afraid to serve it to others for fear of seeming highly pretentious about my choice in grains.

I like your resolution about recognizing the good things in your life, pleasure gets such a bad rap, it needs to be lifted up and redeemed from time to time.

Oh, and I love yoga, though I haven't taken a class in years, too bad we're not neighbours, then we could take it together!

peace to you my friend!